The inspiration for this towel woven by Carol Wilkinson came from a picture of the English countryside in the fall. Several wrappings of color combinations were completed; the final plaid design has stripe colors that are assymetrical in both warp and weft. The weaving pattern was a point twill based on #512 from A Weaver’s Book of 8-Shaft Patterns from the Friends of Handwoven, edited by Carol Stickler.
Also pictured is an Atwater/Bronson lace towel woven by Cherie Irvin (instructions not included).
Structure: Waffle Weave, 8 shaft
Warp: Random stripes of
- Color A: 6/2 cotton, Dark brown
- Color B: 8/2 cotton, Medium brown
- Color C: 22/2 cottolin, Cocoa brown
- Color D: 22/2 cottolin, Rust
- Color E: 22/2 cottolin, Dark teal blue
- Color F: 22/2 cottolin, Cream
- Color G: 20/2 cotton, Red-orange and 10/2 cotton, light brown-red – used together as one thread
Weft: 8/2 cotton, Burgundy with random stripes of 22/2 cottolin in cream, green, dark teal blue, and cocoa brown
Warp sett: 24 ends per inch, 12 dent reed, 2 ends per dent
Width in reed: 22″
Dimensions after hemming and wet finishing: 17″ x 32″